Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Tambourine Dreams


When I first joined a group of some friends playing music a few years ago, I bought a new tambourine that I couldn't wait to paint -- an idea very much fueled by the inspiration of favorite art heroes, The Fool: a Dutch design collective who got their start in the late 1960s (a good article about them contemporary to their heyday found here, and I've also pinned some favorite images along the way for even more visual reference). Their colorful vision extended into every aspect of life: from album covers, clothing designs, painted furniture, murals and more, exemplifying that art is truly a way of living. They even recorded an album of their own, which I am happy to have in my collection! 

Late last year I was excited to receive a private commission of another tambourine: 


Happily it arrived safe & sound across the Atlantic to London, to the home of a lovely lady with a golden voice! I painted it with several layers of fluorescent acrylic, shiny metallic gold (difficult to entirely capture in the photo), and a few rings of glow-in-the-dark paint around the top. 

On-stage glow! Photo via Ellie
The Magnetic Mind

While the process was definitely different from my favorite medium of watercolor/ink on paper, I loved doing these projects. Combining two great passions of art and music is always a perfect match! 

No comments:

Post a Comment